Tuesday 25 June 2013

Nursery Sewing

I usually learn things the hard way.  So when people told me not to spend a lot of money on bedding and whatnot for a nursery, I didn't listen.  When we found out we were expecting our first, my first trip to look at baby stuff was to Pottery Barn Kids.  I fell in love with the Sweet Lambie collection in warm whites and beige and, since we didn't want to know the gender, built the nursery around this.

Then Audrey was born and suddenly her gender neutral room wasn't girlie  enough for my little lady.  Over the past year, there have been additions to the room to make it more "her," but I am still longing for something that fits her little personality more.  Especially since the nursery phase just doesn't last that long.

So, for our boy's room, I wanted something that would grow along with him.  We also want to keep things reasonable price wise, so budget is a very important word around here.  I set to work trying to make what I could.

My first stop was fabric.com to search for all of the material I'd need.  I chose quite a bit of gray and white to keep things neutral, knowing that a lot of the accessories were going to give me the colour I am looking for. 

First up was the crib skirt.  I used the crib skirt from Audrey's crib as a template of sorts and then just winged it.  Here's the finished product.

 
I used an iron on hemming tape for all of the edging just to make sure everything looked crisp and clean.  Then, to make sure it was really secure I used my sewing machine to reinforce it.  With four finished pieces, I attached it to a piece of material as flaps and was finished!  Much easier than anticipated but measuring is super important.
 
Then I set to work making a couple change pas covers.  I chose a minky fabric with a dot stamped into it in a deeper gray.  Again, I didn't have a pattern and used a cover that we already had as a template.  This didn't go quite as smoothly, it was my first time sewing elastic into a project and that was a challenge.  Overall, I'm happy with the finished product, it's just a little looser than I'd like it to be.  I love crisp, tight linens.
 

 
You can see a little peek of red in the bottom picture, to the right.  That's the apple crate insert from this post.  The room isn't close to being finished but the basics are there.  Important since D-date is 10 days away! 
 
The list of to-do's is a little daunting.  We still need to purchase three of these shelves, build a pelmet, purchase drapes, and pick up some picture frames for some art that I won (more to come when actually framed!) and another piece from Etsy.  I'm also back on the hunt for a new rug after a disappointing first pass.  Friends, never trust colour descriptions on the internet. 
 
And now I'm off to pack my bag for the hospital!



No comments:

Post a Comment