Monday 24 June 2013

Spray Paint Project #1

Months and months ago, I bought some Ribba frames from IKEA with the intention of spray painting them.  Since I was changing the colour, I chose a frame that appeared to be a medium wood tone because it was on sale.  Yea, that medium wood was actually a sticker.  Ugh.

Way, way back in October, I set to work lightly sanding all of the sticker so the spray paint would adhere to frame.  I finished one coat on one frame and it started to bubble.  Double ugh.  It would seem as though spray paint (or any paint for that matter) doesn't like the cold air.  So, the 1/20th finished project was shelved for the winter to wait for the warmer weather. 

This is what our room looked like for the past year.  I snapped this quick before photo just as I was getting ready to hang the pictures.



Finally in late May/early June, the weather was warm enough and I had some motivation to get going on this.  I finished spraying all of the frames last weekend and spent the past week searching through our honeymoon photos to fill the three frames.

And because who doesn't love the Italian Riviera, here are the three I chose.





We were in Cinque Terra, Italy in September 2010.  It was stunning.  We had spent the week and a half before arriving in Italy touring major cities and hoping on and off planes and trains so this was almost like heaven.  We spent two days relaxing on the beaches and touring the towns.  It will be nice to have a reminder right above our bed.

The matting that came with the frames meant I would've had to make a special trip downtown to pick up the over sized pictures so instead, I decided to make my own matting.  I like the look of off-centre pictures and knew if would be easier than trying to centre it so this was an easy decision.

Here's the finished project




When you walk into our room, it instantly feels more like intimate.  It feels good to finally have something up on the wall in our bedroom.  Starting to feel a little more "ours." 

I do have some more I'd like to change, but I move at a snail's pace due to things like budget, time, and man power.  I'm not in love with the wall colour and would like it a little warmer white.  It almost looks like a greenish white and that's not my thing.  Also, those lamp shade covers are begging to be replaced!  All in good time.  Oh, and the drapes that should be hanging in there are currently being used in the living room to avoid the fishbowl effect from the street.

No comments:

Post a Comment